The season of entertaining is officially upon us! Here are 6 super simple tips to make your home great for guests.
- Do a surface clean. This isn’t the time to re-organize your closet and re-design your living room. Just make sure surfaces are wiped down, floors are vacuumed and clutter is put away.
- Shine the right light. The dimmer switch is the spot-cleaners best friend. Not only is lowering the light great for hiding any cleaning indiscretions, it’s perfect for creating a cool mood.
- Add some candlelight. A great scented candle makes your home super welcoming. Just don’t choose a scent that’s too overpowering (stay away from strong cinnamon or a tropical island theme) and make sure to blow out the scented candles before everyone eats.
- Have enough seating. This one is most important for any kind of dinner party. If guests will be sitting down to a meal you’ll want an exact chair count. For general holiday parties, you don’t need seating for everyone. It’s actually better to have less seating to encourage people to mingle.
- Add a little bit of nature. It’s amazing how quickly flowers and houseplants can instantly warm up your space.
- Create a playlist. You don’t want anything that will be distracting. Just some light tunes in the background so it’s not too obvious if the conversation comes to a lull for a moment. If you don’t feel like putting a list together yourself, all kinds of streaming music sites provide pre-made party playlists and stations.